The summer is coming to a close here in Atlanta with cooler evenings and (slightly) less humidity in the forecast. As the weather cools and routines return to normal, it can be a great time of year to reconnect with friends and family who we might have not seen much over the busy summer. Taking the time to plan a gathering with comforting details is a great way to say farewell to summer and usher in cozy autumn. This week, we’ve put together some ideas for hosting a casual and comforting end of summer supper. Happy entertaining!
1. Planning a menu for those you love and care for can be such an enjoyable experience–take the time to plan a menu that reflects the mood you want your guests to experience, keep it personal and incorporate seasonal items. In the words of James T. Farmer III, “Food is life. It is probably the most enjoyable aspect for survival. We are so fortunate to live to eat rather than to eat to live.”
2. You don’t need to spend a lot of time or money to achieve a stellar ambiance. Adding some simple florals and candlelight to the tabletop is a chic and casual way to create a welcoming atmosphere.
3. Add pillows and blankets to benches or chairs to create a comfortable seating arrangement that will encourage guests to stay a while.
4. Create a signature cocktail using the last of summer’s bounty. A delicious, handcrafted cocktail won’t easily be forgotten, plus, having a specialty drink that is easily made will simplify the amount of work you’ll spend tending the bar so you can enjoy more time with your guests.
5. Finally, give each guest their own toss blanket to use if they get they get cold and then to take home; they’ll have a tangible reminder of a lovely evening spent with friends.